By Babajide Olaitan
By the power vested upon the freedom of opinion, analysis, reaction, passion and action in the court of football, let there be the award Goalie D’Or specially for those ‘safe hands’. This is a true story of Vincent Enyeama and Manuel Neuer.
How come? How could it be? It is so interesting that the awards slated for this January 2015 is not going to go pass without questions.
Let’s start from t-o-p, that’s right, from the top. Even if the eyes are so strong, and tightly closed, tears will knock at the eye balls to please open up, soften up, so it can come out to witness how two awards, major awards chose not to go as expected.
The GLO-CAF Awards refused to honour a a working hand, a pair of hands that toiled and tilled both for country and club.
Vincent Enyeama deserves the Glo-Caf Awards is not just a statement but a true one. This does not need to be over-emphasised because its beyond any reasonable doubt;
• Why was he not the African footballer of the year (2015) winner? Let’s check, Yaya Toure won the last edition 2014 so, let’s have speculation and calculations running;
* Between the period of check (2014/15) Vincent Eyeama saved the goals that took Nigeria to the World Cup in Brazil (no doubt he is not a new-comer, he appeared eight times in three World Cups) and secured the National team to the second round first time since 1998.
* Won African best player in France
* Nigerian best player before the award
* A record of 1,067 minutes clean-sheet in 2013/14 season (ended 8 December 2013)
* Played 90 minutes for club and country in major competitions
* Also nominee for the BBC African footballer of the year. What a stat for a goal keeper.
• Random facts:
* Yaya Toure has never scored against Vincent Enyeama
* Enyeama has been an AFCON third place thrice (2004,2006,2010) and winner once (2013)
* Y. Toure has been the runner up twice (2006,2012)
If you think Enyeama was bad, let’s look at the man who came after him.
• Manuel Neuer
For the best goal keeper in Brazil 2014 FIFA World Cup and European best goalie, German Bundesliga best goalie, World Cup Gold, Bundesliga title holder, Super Cup holder to be seen as second to Cristiano Ronaldo is practically debatable.
Looking at statistics and figures of how the ‘sweeper keeper’ faired is just so obvious to conclude that indeed he deserves an award, the Ballon d’or.
Then if goal keepers can have these big feats in the game of football and not to be compensated and encouraged even for emotional reason then, there is need for another gala night featuring Goalie D’Or.
From history goal keepers hardly get these top awards. Is it because they are not scorers? Should they leave the goal post to strike? Should they have a record of hat-tricks?
Let us find the sands of time for the goal keepers diving all around, saving goals that the strikers, mid-fielders, defenders could not.
Since a goal keeper is not fit enough for the top award, let us think of Goalie D’Or.